By Elana Harari
There are many reasons why a business might want to change their name on Facebook. They might re-brand, need to change for legal reasons, or want more or less information to be included in the name.
Whatever your reason, Facebook has made this process very simple and will help you with every step along the way.
If your page has more than 200 fans, you must apply to have your name changed. The reason for this is to ensure people don’t attract fans under false pretenses, by saying they are one thing, then suddenly changing to something else once they have the numbers.
So, in 10 easy steps, here is how to apply to change your business name on Facebook:
1. Select “Settings” from the top-line navigation.
2. Click on “Page Info” in the left sidebar.
3. Find “Name”, which should be the first option. Then click “Edit” on the far right.
4. This should bring up your Page name, and the option “Request Change”. Click it.
5. Read the guidelines for Page names. When you are finished reading and feel comfortable with the guidelines, confirm your consent by ticking “I understand the formatting guidelines for my Page’s new name”.
6. Facebook will then ask you what your Page name currently represents, with options in a drop down menu. Choose the one that best applies to your Page.
7. Then, Facebook will double check that you still want to change your name. Agree by checking the box. Then enter in your new Page name and tell Facebook why you would like to change your page name by selecting from the options in the drop down menu.
8. Once you have made your selection, you must upload documentation that supports the name change. Do this by clicking “Choose File” and selecting the appropriate document. Facebook provides examples of what kind of documents it will and won’t accept. Phone and utility bills are acceptable, so play it safe and stick with something similar.
9. You’ll then need to read and tick the two final check boxes.
10. Finally, click send. Done!
Facebook will be in contact with you once your Page name change has been approved, or will let you know why it cannot be changed.
Please be aware that you can only change your Page name once. Be sure that you want the name changed for a very good reason before you proceed, as once you do this, you cannot change it back.
Connect with Elana on Twitter.