LinkedIn is often called the professional Facebook. If you’re looking to be convinced to join, here are seven reasons. If you’ve decided you want to jump on, but you’re not sure what’s involved in setting one up, we’ve got a guide for you!
1. Head to www.linkedin.com.
2. On the home page, you’ll be asked to fill in some details, such as name and email address. Fill in the details, then click “Join now”.
3. LinkedIn will ask you to fill out some more basic details, including your location and employment status. Depending on your status, they will ask further information such as job title, the company you work for, what your last position was, which education institution you attend, or which industry you are in.
4. Once you have filled in the requested information, LinkedIn will then suggest importing your contacts from your email account to find connections. This is up to you if you’d like to do so or if you want to skip the step. It can make the process of finding connections easier.
5. LinkedIn will then suggest people you may know and want to connect with. This is a great opportunity for you to connect with people without having to search for them. If there are people you know and are happy to connect with, simply tick the box next to their name, and click “Add connection(s)” in the bottom left hand of the page. You should only add connections that you do actually know. You can also choose to skip this step.
6. Next, it will be suggested that you download the LinkedIn app for your mobile devices. Again, this is entirely up to you and depends on whether you think you will mostly be using LinkedIn on your computer or on your mobile device.
7. You will then be asked to choose your plan: Premium or Basic. The Basic plan is free and the Premium plans differ in price depending on which level you want to go for.
The Premium plans offer more options, but you need to decide what you are going to use LinkedIn for and how often. The plans cost between $23.99 and $74.99 each month. They provide higher visibility of profiles, being able to see everyone who has viewed your profile, more communication options, and advanced search options.
We suggest you read through what the plans have to offer before deciding to sign up. You can also trial a Premium account for free, and then decide if it is worthwhile upgrading.
8. For this example, we will continue with the Basic plan. Once you choose, you will be taken to you profile to start filling in details.
Details you can fill in include your experience, skills and expertise, education, languages, your contact information, and your profile image. You can update any of this information as things change. Think of this as your online resume, so it’s important that you have it filled out as much as possible, and always kept up to date.
Now that you’re all set up, you can start following influencers and brands, and sharing content. By keeping active, your profile is more likely to come up in searches and help you to connect with a wider range of people and promote your business.